Artsfest through August 6, 2022
God’s gift of creativity is sacred and mystical while also expressive and personal. The Old Testament book of Genesis declares that God created, and it was very good. Jesus’ first miracle in the New Testament is the act of creating wine from water. Creativity is a sacred gift. Creating honors the sacred in our world. We were “created to be creative.”
St. Paul’s United Methodist Church celebrates that gift through Artsfest, a festival of musical, visual and theater arts combined with educational experiences. Beginning June 12 and concluding August 6, Artsfest includes an art exhibit, concerts, a children’s arts camp, workshops in ceramics and paper cutting, and a fully staged performance of the musical You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.
Whether you express your gift of creativity through hands-on experiences or through listening and appreciation, we hope that Artsfest is a creative blessing to you and the Cedar Rapids community! Join us in celebrating God’s gift of creativity!
Art Workshop 2
- 3D Tile
- Thursday, June 30, 6:30-7:30 pm
- The Iowa Ceramics Center and Glass Studio (ICCGS) is coming to St. Pauls to teach participants to create a decorative tile. We will start with a reflection question and a drawing of your ideas. You’ll learn various hand building techniques to create and add all the details for your tile, then glaze (paint) with colors to bring it to life. All projects will be created and painted (glazed) at St. Paul’s and then taken back to ICCGS for firing in their kilns. Projects will be ready three weeks later. The tiles will be brought together into a community art piece exhibited at St. Paul’s throughout the season of Artsfest. After Artsfest ends in early August, you’ll be able to claim your tile and take it home with you. This event is supported in part by the St. Paul’s Foundation Fine Arts Fund. Pre-registration requested by June 29.
- Cost: $10 per tile created
- Childcare available
- Register for 3D Tile Workshop
Five Seasons Chamber
- Friday, July 1, 7:00 pm
- St. Paul’s UMC Sanctuary
- Brass, wind, flute and harp ensembles, chamber strings and Jazz band.
- Monday, July 11-Thursday, July 14, 9:30 am-3:00 pm
- St. Paul's UMC's Children's Parlor, third floor
- Exploring hands-on creative ways to celebrate art.
- Cost: $125 for the week includes meals
- Click here to Pre-register
Art Workshop 3
The Art of Paper Cutting
- Saturday, July 16, 9:30-11:30 am
- St. Paul’s UMC Art Space Classroom, third floor
- An introduction to the art of paper cutting. Participants will view examples of paper cutting from various cultures, practice using a craft knife with a pre-printed design, and then create their own original design. Cost includes materials: cutting mat, blades, and paper, all to take home and continue your creativity.
- Cost: $25 per person (limit 10 participants)
- Registration required by calling church office. Confirmation will be received when fee is paid.
Art in the Park
- Sunday, July 31, 12:00-6:00 pm
- Redmond Park (1545 3rd Ave SE, Cedar Rapids)